During the last few months of 2012, I took an Artist’s Way class. My major project for the program was hand-making two books. Here are the high-level steps, as well as a downloadable document (Handmaking a Journal) in case you want more details to try making your own book.
- Paint the front and back covers.
- Paint the end papers (inside of the covers) and glue them in.
- Put the cover together using book cloth (binding tape) and glue.
- Prepare the paper that goes on the inside—the “signatures.”
- Prepare for sewing by making holes in the paper and spine.
- Sew in the signatures, adding beads, buttons, etc. as desired.
- Start using the book!
Now please keep in mind, this was a creativity class, not a book-making class—so don’t judge my efforts too harshly!